Hey Vancouver & Victoria writers, this workshop on publishing may interest you:
REGISTER NOW: Publishing 2.0 - Tips and Traps
(2014-2015 PD Workshops Series)
Already an author? Join the Writers' Union of Canada (members get discounted admission to our workshops).
Whether you are an aspiring, emerging, or an established writer, the ever-changing publishing landscape can be daunting. If you want to learn the skills needed to succeed in today's publishing landscape, the traditional and/or independent route, then this full-day workshop is for you.
Publishing 2.0 has already been presented in Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal and Halifax - and the feedback says it all:
"Excellent," "comprehensive," "informed and witty," experience-rich," "inspiring!"
Participants will leave the workshop having gained the know-how and confidence to work within the current publishing landscape, and an expanded, inspired sense of what it means to be an independent writer in today's world.
TWUC Member and award-winning author Caroline Adderson presents the Traditional Path to Publication
- working with an agent (how this relationship may be changing)
- keys to a successful submission
- contract terms for print and electronic rights
- working with an in-house editor
- involvement in the publishing process
- working with an in-house publicist
TWUC member, traditionally published AND self-published author Mary W. Walters will speak to the growing practice of Independent Publication:
- options for funding, including crowdsourcing
- print on demand and e-book formats
- being your own editor or hiring an editor
- managing your digital rights
- the importance of metadata
- doing the design work
- pricing and selling/distribution
John Degen, executive director of The Writers’ Union of Canada will host the workshop and discuss the current publishing and bookselling landscape, including important issues for writers such as contract terms, royalty rates, and copyright.
A web-based video presentation of this workshop will be prepared and offered for sale at a later date.
All workshops (except Toronto) run from 9:30 am - 4:30 pm and lunch is provided. The Toronto workshop includes a weekend pass to the Toronto International Book Fair. Lunch will not be served in Toronto - instead participants will be given a two hour break to enjoy the book fair.
Our 2014-15 cities will be:
- Whitehorse, YK Thursday, September 4, Kwanlin Dün Cultural Centre, 1171 1 Avenue (Registration now closted)
- Saskatoon, SK Monday, September 15, University of Saskatchewan, Marquis Hall, 97 Campus Drive, Private Dining Room (Registration now closted)
- Edmonton, AB Wednesday, September 17, University of Alberta, Lister Centre/Conference Centre, 87th Avenue & 116 Street, Alberta Room (Registration now closted)
- Toronto, ON, Friday, November 14, as part of INSPIRE! The Toronto International Book Fair. Register for the Toronto event here.
- Victoria, BC March 4, 2015, Ambrosia Centre, 638 Fisgard Street
- Vancouver, BC March 6, 2015, Harbour Centre, 1400 -1420 Segal Centre, 515 West Hastings Street
The Vancouver workshop is sponsored by SFU Continuing Studies' Creative Writing Program.
Cost of the one-day workshop is $95 (TWUC members admitted at the discount rate of $80).